Monday, November 15, 2004

Chapter Twenty-One

The look on Aimee’s face said it all. Open-mouthed and surprised, she was lost for words for a few seconds.

‘So, how are we going to do this, then?’ asked Aimee. ‘”Your place or mine?” is how the old expression goes, I think’

They smiled at each other, and Aimee waited for a response.


‘I think I’d like to invite you to dinner, perhaps at a restaurant? It’s been so long since I’ve eaten out, I thought it might be a good place to start.’
‘OK, that sounds fine. Did you have one in mind?’
‘There’s a Taiwanese-Spanish place I found some time ago that I thought looked great. It’s called Chaou-Manuel’s. I was going to suggest they deliver to my apartment, but I think I’d like to actually go there and eat. I can give you the referemce if you’d like to take a look.’

Jay started to key in the City reference finder and the lower left-hand portion of the vidphone screen showed a map. As they continued talking, the restaurant’s location was shown, and then images of the restaurant were displayed to the right of the map.

‘No, that’s alright. I trust your judgement. But give me the reference anyway so I know where it is. Hey1 The place looks good. Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, are you ready for this? I don’t want you to push yourself into doing something you really don’t want to do. Besides, I wouldn’t mind getting to know your apartment if you’d prefer to eat there.’
‘No. I’d really like to do this. It’s a ridiculous notion of mine, being cooped up in here all the time. I think I need to start getting to know the world I live in a little bit more.’
‘Wow.’ Aimee said. ‘I’m starting to be impressed by you Mister Gee.’I see the place is only a couple of blocks away from you. Shall I come over there and we can go together?’
‘OK.’ Jay said, that would be great, I’ll reserve a table. How about for eight o’clock?’
‘That sounds great.’

After Aimee had gone, Jay decided he’d better book the table. He was about to call up the connection to Chaou-Manuel’s when he had a better idea. He would go there in person and book the table.

What had happened to him all of a sudden? He was feeling rather brave. He also thought it would be better if he’s had a trial run, so he could concentrate on Aimee instead of on the route and his feelings towards walking there. The last thing he wanted to happen was to have second thoughts and cause a scene in his flat when she arrived.

Without thinking any further, Jay selected a coat and headed for his apartment door. It was 12.30am on a Wednesday night.

476 words
14,012 words in total.


1 Comments:

Blogger blog-efl said...

Gracias Rafa. Lo necesito. ¿Qué tal con la tuya?

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home