Thursday, November 11, 2004

Chapter Eleven

‘Blackberry’ is the idea of the chip taken a step further’ Aimee said.
‘A step further?’ What do you mean?’

‘Well, as it stands, the smart chip, as far as I understand, allows us to access our homes, gives us control of machines, makes it easy for us to handle our finances and transactions, and a host of other things. In return, we’re being tracked. And I mean they track everything. The corporation knows what you buy, what channel you watch, what you eat, and a load of othet things to boot. And if they want to, they can find out who you’re talking to, and listen in. The thing even tells the Corporation exactly where you are in the City. They know who’s where and what they are doing.Everything’s inter-connected., so it’s easy for them to do this, but things aren’t working out as planned.'
‘Why not?’

‘Well, people are dropping out of the system. Either they stop working well enough and lose their job. Or they simply try to walk away from the system. There seems to be a small rebellion problem going on in the City. And lately it’s got out of hand.’
‘But why? Why would people want to leave their cushy lives? What is there to gain?’
‘Well, I think that’d be too difficult to explain right now, to someone who’s been...sorry, I’ll correct that, who is still happy to spend all of his day inside, working away for the Corporation’s benefit.’

Jay raised his arms upwards.and scratched his head nervously with his left arm.

‘And mine. I get paid well for what I do. And I like it...’
‘Don’t fool yourself Jay, you’re being exploited by the Corporation. They only let you go on like you do becasue you work hard and it’s in their interests to do so. If you got sick, you’d soon find your credits gone. You don’t earn enough to be off for, let me guess, more than a month, do you? Then you’d find yourself on the path to becoming an ex-insider.’
‘That’s scary. But I can see your point. I never do manage to get enough credits together to feel comfortable,’
‘OK, now you’re beginning to see my point. Well, the Sini...I mean blackberry thing takes the smartchip a stage further because it’s not implanted in your arm .’
‘Where do they put the thing then?’
‘The idea, as far as I’m told, is to implant the chip in the back of your head. That way, of course, they can work on what they really want to do next.’
‘Which is?
‘Control people’s actions of course. They want to be able to get you to work for them whenever they want you.’
‘Well, they’ve got me working for them already. I don’t see the point.’

Aimee stretched her legs a little and Jay was suddenly aware that he was talking to an attractive woman. It was the first time in months that he had felt this stimulus. He suddenly thought, why is that? And, frighteningly, does it have anything to do with the thing in his arm? His hand moved involuntarily to the place where his chip had been implanted. He could feel it there, under the skin, not exactly throbbing with life, but surely, it could be working away, doing something he didn’t know anything about even as he spoke. He suddenly felt frightened.
‘The point Mister Gee,’ said Aimee, almost condescendingly, ‘is that. They’ll use you for all the little jobs they need doing, apart from your normal job. Imagine your neighbour hasn’t credits left. They want someone to go and evict him. Who better to use than you? Then after you finish, they’d just wipe that memory, and you’d be oblivious of it.’
‘I’m sorry, but that doesn’t make sense Aimee.’ Said Jay.
‘Oh no? I think it does.’
‘No, think about it. If the neighbour also has the implant, then he wouldn’t need to be evicted.. He wouldn’t even get to that point anyway, would he? The Corporation would just control his spending habits or behaviour.’
‘OK, Jay, you’re right. I’m tired and I’m joining the dots here, This is a mixture of speculation and my own and others fears of what could happen. What is tru, however, is the whole blackberry thing itself. I know for certain that they are going to start to implement it early next year. I don’t know who they’ll pick to trial the thing on, but it could be you. Or it could be me.’

758 words written this chapter.
7875 words written in total
42125 words left to write
= 2,217 words a day left to write if I want to finish.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home