Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Chapter Seven

‘OK.’ Is what Jay wanted to say. And that would have been that. Instead, he said:


‘It isn’t as easy as you make it out to be. I...I...’
‘Why not Jay? I would really like to see you. I mean, see you really. Flesh and blood. Speaking with you like this is one thing, but I’d like something more. However, if you’re not ready for that, then I’ll understand. It just seems such a shame. Especially after today. I’m sure I could help you with that neck pain.’

‘I know you are right, and part of me also wants you to come over. But then, I don’t know if you’re going to understand this. I’ve spent so much time alone with myself, I’m not sure you’d like me in the real. I can cope with it online, but I don’t know how I’d react...’
‘Well, how about we meet half way? Or even just go for a drink together near your apartment? Surely you can cope with that. Then when you want to go back home, just say so and we’ll part.’
‘Well, yes, I suppose so, but it’s just that I’ve not really ever left my flat much in these last five years, and I don’t know how...’
‘Then it’s decided then. I’m coming over to see you. Listen. I feel good about this.Just hang up and try not to think about it. I’ll take a cab and come on over. I could be with you in thirty minutes, couldn’t I?’
‘I just don’t know what to say Aimee.’
‘Just say yes, silly. And then don’t even think about it. Leave the rest up to me. Please, Jay. I would really love to see you properly.’
‘I’m sorry Aimee. I don’t want to hurt you, but I just don’t think I’m ready for this.’

Aimee sighed and looked at Jay.

‘OK. I’m sorry for insisting. I know I shouldn’t have tried to barge into your life like this, especially just after your mother’s death. Just forget it. We’ll talk about meeting some other time.’
‘Are you sure you don’t mind?’ Jay asked Aimee, although he wouldn’t have known what else to say if she had answerd that she did. It was obvios she did mind, and yet she played the game and said she didn’t. The two of them continued talking a while longer, but soon afterwards, Aimee made an excuse and took her leave.

‘What have I done, Aimee?’ Jay expected his HCS to answer in that familiar synthesised voice, but a instead a thirty-year-old man’s voice boomed out of the speakers, aware that Jay was addressing him from the signal that had been transmitted from the chip in Jay’s arm. Jay had turned off not one but two Aimees that day.

464 words
5385 words in total
More to come tonight
I’m on a roll...
At last it’s started to happen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home