Monday, November 15, 2004

Chapter Twenty

Two days later, when Aimee rang, she was standing in front of Jay with her flute in her lap.

‘It’s funny’, she said, ‘it reminds me a lot of you.
‘I feel the same way when I look at my flute.’ Said Jay.
‘Well, now you’re going to have to tell me what to do with the thing. It has been a hell of a long time Mister Gee.’

She could actually still play reasonably well. Although, she lost her place several times, and her technique would need a lot of work, Jay thought she played a lot better than he expected her to do after so long away from the instrument.

‘Are you sure you haven’t been practising on the sly?’ he siad to her after they’d finihed playing a warm-up piece.
‘You are kidding, aren’t you?’ she said.

They played over the video phone for a few hours that night, hardly talking to each other except about music, and about playing technique. It had been therapeutic, Aimee had said, at the end of it, and she had been able to forget about Cliff Brooks’ disppearance. It had caused her some problems at work, she later explained, and it was also something that was keeping her from sleeping well at night. She held herself personally responsible, she told Jay.

‘But, that’s not fair,’ he said. ‘He might have decided to go off and do whatever he’s done without any encouragement from you anyway. As he told you, he had unfinished business.’
‘Yes, OK. I understand, but I’m supposed to calm patients down, to keep them stable. And that’s not what I did with Cliff. I stirred him up, encouraged him to get up and go. It was something completely new to me. I feel I’ve betrayed myself professionally. And why? All because I wanted to know something? And now, we have no idea what’s happened to him.’

Aimee was taking the Cliff Brooks episode too personally, but there was nothing Jay could think of that would take her mind off him. Or was there?

‘Aimee, I was wondering if we could meet up tomorrow night.’ Jay said.

358 words
13536 words in total


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home